I am a seasoned design leader with over twenty years of experience. I’ve worked for fast-growing tech companies, boutique design agencies, and non-profit organizations.
Everywhere I’ve worked, I’ve been able to help build strong and diverse design teams. I am a manager but prefer to work alongside my team, rather than to direct from a pedestal. I enjoy the collaboration and energy that comes from working together.
I have a pragmatic approach to user-centered design and strive for a balance between customer value and business needs. I’m self-driven and love to work on tough problems that make a difference in the people’s lives.
Sr. Director, User Experience
Director, User Experience
Sr. Product Designer
- Managed design teams releasing dozens of innovative features for web and mobile products, from concept through implementation.
- Created a design system for Ancestry products. Worked closely with product management and front-end development to improve consistency across all products.
- Created a design methodology and tools to document customer journey and improve the product with user-centered metrics.
- Recruited and hired designers, growing design team from 5 to a diverse team of over 30.
I have really enjoyed working with John. He is extremely thoughtful and takes great pride in his craft. Not only is he extremely talented, but he is a real pleasure to work with. I would definitely hire John.Kendall Hulet, CEO at Cake, former Sr. VP Product at Ancestry
You will see lots of articles about hiring designers that say stuff like, “Full-stack designers don’t exist! Quit looking for unicorns! Respect specialization!” That’s because the authors haven’t worked with John. From visual design, customer research, solving intense interaction design problems, reworking challenging information architectures, writing, all the way to coding up design tools that give the team superpowers… he really does it all and does it all really well. If I didn’t love the guy so much I would hate him out of jealousy.Josh Penrod, CPO at Podium, Former VP of User Experience at Ancestry
If they were smart, they would put you in chargeA.J. Jacobs, Best Selling Author, It’s All RelativeTODAY
Academy of Art University
- Taught the course “Advanced Scripting”-teaching art students advanced scripting concepts using Adobe Flash(RIP).
- Taught group directed study courses to mentor and help students working on their MFA projects.
Family Search, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Lead Interaction Designer
Sr. Interaction Designer
- I helped grow the team from 5 to over 40 interaction designers.
- I led the design of an entirely new online store with 17,000 products. The effort included design and product photography
- Designed website and financial application to assist in the distribution and payment of an international educational assistance program.
- Established “Design Excellence” program to help train and improve the skills of a design team.
- Compiled and developed guidelines and best practices for accessible design
John is an excellent designer and team player. Worked with him on a project for the design and implementation of a Web portal for the Perpetual Education Fund (PEF)…His designs were top notch …his documentation was excellent, and his estimates to complete work were spot on. John is a very talented designer that I highly recommend.Raymond Babbit, Program Manager
You rarely find this much talent and expertise in a single individual. John is exceptional at strategizing, concepting, articulating, managing, and executing top-notch user experience design. He's a walking wiki on the theory of design and user experience. He collaborates really well, he's affable and friendly to work with, and somehow he manages to do all this while expecting nothing short of great design from those around him. He inspires team members and peers to deliver high-quality product experiences. In short, John is pretty fantastic at what he doesCameron Moll, Author, Speaker, Design Leader at Facebook2011
Weber State University
- I taught various advanced graphic design, typography, and web design courses over a period of 5 years.
John was one of my favorite professors at Weber State University. His ability to clearly teach and translate interactive design is proof that he has a great understanding of the field.Adam Yost, Former Student2011
- I helped grow the company from a two-person team in 1999 to a full-service agency with more than 15 employees.
- Provided brand identity design, web design & development, flash animation, and specialized software development for dozens of clients.
- During my tenure, Humaniz became one of the top boutique agencies in Salt Lake City with local and international clients.
- In addition to contributing individually to design work, I filled many roles, including sales, account management, project management, company administration, and software development.
User Interface Designer/Graphics Coordinator
- I provided the interactive design for international products, marketing strategy, and innovation efforts.
- I oversaw the authoring of CD-ROMs for installation and instructions for the wildly popular Zip® and Jaz® computer storage products.
- I was involved in the research & development for several innovative product design efforts, including an interface for an early digital camera.
- Designed the interface for the first commercial digital music encoding app released in 1997 (RecordIt).
MFA, Web Design and New Media
Academy of Art University
After 10 years working in the design industry, I decided to pursue a terminal degree (Master of Fine Arts) in design. I did this to broaden my knowledge and perspective in design, and to explore artistic interests outside of my career.2008
BFA, Visual Communications
Weber State University1996